"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" and I said, "Here I am Lord, send me!"
- Isaiah 6:8

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Confessions of a Sinner

I am a sinner. But I'm also a human, and in my description of my human qualities, is sin. But Jesus came to make me a saint, and with His grace, I pray that one day I may obtain just that; the grace to overcome my selfish sinful ways and dwell with Him forever in my Heavenly home that he is already prepared for me.

I love all the Catholic Sacraments, but one of my favorites (Next to the Eucharist of course.) Is the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Jesus gave his Apostles the ability to forgive sins,(John 20:23) and it's been passed down through generations so that all the people may have the ability to experience God's grace in such a profound way. There is absolutely no experience that could compare to the experience of receiving God's grace in such a extraordinary way.

Protestants may argue that they don't need to confess their sins to another person. That they can confess their sins to God, and there is no need for doing any other extra things. Catholics believe in confessing their sins to God as well, but by means of the priest who is sitting "in persona christi" or 'In the place of Christ'. When we are sitting in the confessional, we believe that we are actually telling Jesus our sins.

There are also other things that we gain through our in counter with Christ in the confessional. We not only receive God's healing grace and mercy, we also learn a good lesson in humility. It takes a lot of courage to actually go and tell another human being what we did wrong, and how we've failed. It helps us to learn not to do what we did again. We also get wonderful advice on how to further our journey and to avoid the near occasion of sin.

Ask any Catholic about the "After Confession Feeling" and you are sure to get a smile. When one makes a sincere confession, it feels like an incredible weight has been lifted off your shoulders, and suddenly you realize that you have just been given a wonderful gift. I cannot think of any other feeling in the world quite like it. It's such a beautiful feeling.

God Bless you all,
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment